What does turning fifty mean to you?
Posted by on
13 Jan, 2015
Turning 50 is a milestone for women. This is usually when the kids are going off to college or moving out. Women are faced with the inevitable empty nest syndrome.
What Turning Fifty Means to Me:
- OML! I look in the mirror and I’m completely shocked by the stranger who looks back at me. Who is that old woman in the mirror? Why is her face falling off her skull? Why is she melting? Why didn’t someone tell me this would happen to me?
- Nails…., what is the deal with the nails? Why do they get all those tiny raised lines?
- I need a lot of space to sleep in. I sprawl now. A queen-sized bed barely provides enough space.
- I’m hot then I’m cold, I’m cold then I’m hot…..
- I’m starting to bond with my PMS (pre-menstrual syndrome), I accept it and enjoy its company. It amuses me. Can’t say that for the rest of the world, though. A couple of month’s ago PMS resulted in me publicly yelling the following at my sister, “Don’t you DARE sit next to me. You were a HORRIBLE diving buddy during the last dive!” The poor thing…she wasn’t even my buddy during that last dive. She was paired with someone else.
- Hair….this is a big one. Hair is starting to appear is very odd places and to disappear from other normal places.
- I’ll climb a mountain. But don’t ask me to bend down and get something from under the couch. My back and knees hurt too much.
Ok, now seriously.
Things a Woman Should Do When Turning 50:
- Get a Checkup. See your doctor for a complete checkup.
- Breast exam
- Blood pressure screening
- Cholesterol test
- Colonoscopy (screens for colorectal cancer) At fifty is when most of us will have our first screening colonoscopy. Preparation is a bummer, but it’s worth it.
- Get a full body screening to rule out any suspicious moles, growths or lesions.
- Know your BMI (Body Mass Index)
- Get the Shingles Vaccine. If you’ve known someone who had shingles you know its horrible.
- Have your Vitamin D Level checked.
- Diabetes screening time.
Fifty isn’t the end of the world, but a threshold that opens onto new horizons. It can be a time to evaluate what is important and what’s not, and decide if, where and when change is needed. Perhaps the best news of all is that women are outliving men in the majority of nations around the globe. The benefits of our gender finally outweigh the drawbacks.
You can visit any of our urgent care clinics for your complete checkup.
- Grand Parkway @ 403 W Grand Pkwy S, Katy ,TX 77494
- Pearland @ 8498 S Sam Houston Pkwy E, Houston TX 77069 (Open 24 Hours)
- Champions @ 6930 FM 1960, Houston, TX 77069
- The Woodlands @ 3600 FM 1488, The Woodlands, TX 77384
- Marina Bay @ 2660 Marina Bay Dr, League City, TX 77573
- Tuscan Lakes @ 2560 State Hwy 96, League City, TX 77573
- Creekside Crossing @ 4420 W Main St, League City, TX 77573
- Pasadena @ 5579 Fairmont Pkwy, Pasadena, TX 77505 (OPEN SOON)
We are your one stop for all your urgent care needs. ” You Only Need One Number For Urgent Care” 843-URGENT-1 (843-874-3681) Call 843-URGENT-1 for a location near You.
Posted in Media
Leave a comment