Click Here to Call Now
Click Here to Call Now
843-URGENT-1 (843-874-3681)

Poison Ivy

All you need to know about Poison Ivy

 
A poison ivy rash is an allergic reaction caused by the oil, called urushiol, in the stems and leaves of poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac plants. Resembling shrubs and or vines in some places, these plants can be identified by their inclusion of three leaflets, although some may have four or more leaflets. The urushoil in the plant binds with your skin and causes a rash consisting of red hives and blisters.
Urgent Clinics Medical Care offers professional services to provide quick relief for patients dealing with excessive discomfort caused by a poison ivy rash.
 
The Poison Ivy plant causes rashes, hives and other allergic reactions.

POISON IVY RASH SYMPTOMS

 
If you are allergic to any of the above mentioned plants, you may see signs of a reaction and rash within 12 to 48 hours after contact with the leaves and stems. The rash can last for two to three weeks.
 
Common symptoms include:
 

  • Redness
  • Swelling and blisters
  • Itching

 
The extent of the symptoms is dependent on the amount of urushiol coming in contact with the skin. In rare cases, patients have an issue with breathing, which is generally caused if a poison ivy plant is burned in a campfire and the smoke is inhaled. Do note that the liquid released from the blisters of a patient doesn’t cause the reaction.
 
HOW TO TREAT POISON IVY RASH?
 
Mild and moderate rashes will diminish with time and do not require medical attention. Cold compresses can provide some relief, and patients are also encouraged to use an antihistamine to reduce the itching. However, self-care treatments should not be utilized if you have a rash around the eyes or extreme blisters all over the body. Healthcare providers often prescribe oral corticosteroids for blisters, and patients may also need antibiotics for bacterial infections due to the rash.
 

SHOULD I SEE A HEALTHCARE PROVIDER?

 
For children below 6 years of age, it is essential to see a doctor right away. In general, one should seek medical attention if any of the below symptoms appear-
 

  • Inhaled smoke released by the burning of a poison ivy plant
  • Extreme reaction in various parts of the body
  • Swelling, which doesn’t subside
  • Rashes around the eyes or private parts of the body
  • Extreme blisters
  • High fever over 100° F

 

HOW TO PREVENT POISON IVY RASH?

 
Always avoid areas known to have poison oak, poison ivy and poison sumac plants. If you are planning a hike or vacation in the great outdoors, always ensure that you are well covered, especially with long-sleeved clothing and high boots. In the case of a mild reaction, wash the area with water quickly.


 
READ MORE ARTICLES

Vomitting

Nausea is an uneasiness of the stomach that often comes before vomiting.  Vomiting is the forcible voluntary or involuntary emptying (“throwing up”) of stomach contents through the mouth.  This can lead to dehydration, which can be treated at Urgent Clinics Medical Care with IV fluids and anti-nausea medication.

0 comments

<< Back